Tuesday, January 13, 2009

More Dirt Jumps (Vista, CA)

While I was searching online for veggie oil "greasers" in San Diego I came across a guy in Vista, CA that mountain bikes also. Today I drove up to Vista to check out his vegetable oil conversion and the dirt jumps that he and his roommate have built behind their house.

Photobucket

I brought along Dignon too, so he could run around while we sessioned the jumps. There were two different lines to choose from. One started with a small lip that transitioned to a step down, then a left-handed berm which shot you to about a four foot tabletop. The other line began with a small berm, then two tabletops on a slight downhill, followed by a berm that shoots you out into the driveway.

Photobucket

This is all just the beginning stage of their build, since the lines need to be perfected and gradually transformed. There's also a lot of space, considering the unbelievable amount of jumps that I've seen Evan fit into half the square footage. I told Devin that I'd get Andy and Scott to come along the next time it rains for a day of building, which will probably turn into a great weekend of collaboration and cooking out.

Photobucket

Oh yeah, I completely faceplanted on my last run. Fortunately I always wear my full-face helmet (especially since the chin and visor took the entire impact). UNFORTUNATELY there's no video of the crash.

After I knocked the wind out of myself, Devin schooled me in a couple games of foosball and then I headed to Oceanside to see one of my cousins [that I've never met before]. When I got to the house she was still at the beach with her toddler, so I got to meet her husband first. He's a pro windsurfer and had a lot of interesting stories to share about living in California, travelling in and out of Mexico, and general "dude essentials." Jenna (my cousin) showed up soon after and I got to hang out with all three of them (don't forget the kiddie) for a bit before driving home to San Diego to wash my wounds and catch a showing of Gossip Girl with Miles and Claire.