Saturday, October 28, 2017

Bike Check



My new [to me] SCOTT Genius LT Tuned is a stunning bike, with its loud paint scheme & sleek internal cable routing. Almost immediately, though, I knew I'd need to ditch the internal routing since it was causing most of the cables/hoses to kink when the handlebars were spun - especially in the case of a fall. In fact, when I purchased the bike it was suffering from a broken rear hydraulic hose due to this constraint.



The previous owner had ditched the TwinLoc system, which I chose to reinstall. I'm not a huge fan of locking both front and rear simultaneously, but I'll primarily use it as a way to soften the suspension damping through rock gardens, switching back to the medium setting for the majority of trail scenarios. The setup is actually quite similar to my Senior Design Project (for mechanical engineering undergrad), in which my team used servo motors to operate the compression and rebound dampers of a rear shock. Seems we were onto something ;-)



In any case, I've rerouted the cables and given the bike some TLC in the form of new bushings in the shock. For protection of the frame, I've wrapped the downtube with a tire casing. I'm testing the application of Shoe Goo to help hold this in place and offer another level of padding. Since cables are running externally, I've placed them within the knobs of the tire to help hold them in place and offer some protection.



Now it's time to ride! I'll update this post if any other changes are made to improve upon this setup.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Follow

No comments: