Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Blue Ridge Relay



A relay race spanning 208 miles and lasting over 30 hours. Yes, a relay race. Like, you know, on foot!

I met half of this team Thursday afternoon as we drove to Grayson Highlands State Park. The next morning I woke up and rolled out of my sleeping bag to meet the rest of the 12-person team. They seemed pretty normal - straight-laced and reasonable - but proved to be nothing of the sort. I witnessed these running junkies make their way up some harrowing country roads and nearly 40 degree climbs. I even got the chance to test out my new bike on some of the steep downhills, flying past runners suffering their way to the bottom. I had a great time and will definitely be there next year as a shuttle-bus driver as long as my schedule allows.

No comments: