Sunday, September 3, 2023

VCHSS Coyote Run (Rural Retreat, VA)

After pedaling the mountain bike in West Virginia for the past three days [and sitting out the last two harescrambles], I was a bit curious how rusty I'd be once I threw a leg over my YZ.

Luckily, I adjusted to the feeling of the dirt bike within the first lap and actually felt relatively fresh despite the hours I'd logged on the mountain bike.

The bike started on the second kick and I entered the woods with a couple riders behind me [instead of watching the field ride away from me like usual]. One fall in the deep silt taught me to pay more respect to the soft surface and I was back on the bike in seconds to regain my position among the pack.

The first lap was largely ridden with caution, but I emerged from the woods in 6th. On the next lap I was in the company of most of the rest of my class and one-by-one I made my way around them to secure first place! I slipped by a couple other riders [from other classes] and did my best to put some room between myself and second place.

By the end of the second lap, I was relatively confident I could keep the position, so I decided to moderate my speed and stay on the bike. Strangely enough, though, it was in my third and fourth laps that I had my biggest wrecks! I was bucked by the tail of the YZ going over a hump, which nearly threw me over the handlebars! Later, I pinballed between a set of trees, came off of the bike, and watched it roll about thirty feet without me!

In any case, I stayed in first and finished out the fourth lap with nothing more that a bent radiator.



Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Follow

No comments: