Sunday, March 5, 2023

Carolina Motorsports Park (Kershaw, SC)



After catching the "supermoto bug" at SMEC's VIR race, I've been hoping to find some other tracks in the Southeast region. Naturally, it's a bit of a niche sport, so the venues are limited.

Two of the riders I met at the past event hailed from North Carolina, and they pointed me toward their home track - Carolina Motorsports Park.

An earlier attempt to ride their track was dashed when my output shaft stripped while attempting to change the sprocket. Since that snafu, I've been itching to get down to South Carolina to ride the track.



Since our pitbull Ruprecht has had to deal with the addition of a new boxer puppy to the household, I decided to give him a break from the little imp and take him with me on the road. At 3:30am we set our sights southward and were unpacking at the track by 10am.



Although I'd purchased tire warmers last year, I still hadn't used them, so I felt like a real pro wrapping them around the tires of my YZ.



The heated tires seemed to help, too. I got chatter in some corners, but not nearly as often as I'd experienced in the past. Each run I'd bring the bike back to the stand and toss the warmers back on, maintaining the warmth in the rubber throughout the day.

Each time out seemed a bit quicker than the last, and by the last round I was stepping out the rear of the bike ever so slightly.



Although the dirt wheels will be back on the YZ by next weekend, I may have to pencil in another trip to the CMP track in between the harescrambles.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Follow

No comments: