Sunday, May 22, 2022

Supermoto East Coast 2022 (VIR - Alton, VA)



Ever since last year's experience riding supermoto at VIR, I've been looking forward to returning to the track for another round of racing on the asphalt & dirt.

Since I'd replaced my DRZ with a Yamaha YZ250 only weeks before, I was in a bit of a scramble to convert it into Supermoto mode. A second set of plastics meant I could keep my VCHSS number plates and swap over to my SMEC graphics [from SKDA] after applying them. For the wheels, I found a set of Tarazon rims laced to blue anodized hubs on eBay. When they arrived, I set them up for tubeless using 3M 5200, some duct tape & bolt-on valve stems. I changed the oil & filter and drilled the drain & fill plugs while they were removed so that they could be safety wired, along with the brake caliper bolts.

One change that I was incapable of making before the race was swapping the front sprocket for a larger one. On my vstrom, I send a pipe through my mag wheel and trap it on the swingarm. This holds the sprocket still so I can wrench it off. With only spoked wheels on the YZ this method is no longer an option. Impact wrench and rear brake were simply not enough to torque the nut off, so I had to leave the 13t sprocket in place. This resulted in not having QUITE enough speed on the back straight of the course, but otherwise not really an issue.



On Saturday morning, I loaded up the Crosstrek with tools & gear and headed west to VIR. By mid-morning I was unpacking and setting up camp at the kart track.



This time around, my wife was joining me. She arrived that afternoon with the dogs, as did a couple friends and my mother and stepfather. This weekend coincides with MotoAmerica, so convincing others to make the drive is a bit less challenging. The heat this weekend was definitely a factor. Finding shade was critical with the sun directly overhead during the 95 degree day.

Considering the heat, I tried my best to time my donning of the leather tracksuit to avoid sitting around in it for any longer than absolutely necessary. I also made sure to constantly drink water and electrolytes throughout the days of practice and racing.

Once on the track it was clear that I still needed to equip myself with the correct tires, as I chose to fit an 80/20 tire to the rear in hopes of gaining a bit more traction on the dirt section. The lesson learned was that grip on the asphalt is really what matters. In a way, though, it was fun letting the rear "step out" under hard braking. This would have probably required higher speeds had I fitted tackier rubber to the wheels. Luckily I had installed a more road-worthy front tire, so I didn't have any issues washing out in the front.

On the dirt section I attempted all of the jumps except the final double. After witnessing a few riders wreck badly there, I decided that was probably a wise choice.

Last year I competed in SMEC3 (beginner class), so I chose to bump up one level this time to SMEC2 in hopes of joining a larger field of racers. As it turned out, there were only five of us competing in that class. The caliber of riders was significantly higher, as I could only beat out one of the others in order to net a fourth place finish. I will say, though, that I was getting fairly close to the rider in 3rd place during our second moto. Each lap he'd pull away on the asphalt and I'd reel him in on the dirt. When the race was finished, we congratulated each other and laughed about our game of cat and mouse.

After two days in the swealtering heat, I was delighted to pack up the car and blast the AC on my way out of Alton. As I was making my way out of the parking area, Charlie Buffum flagged me down to say goodbye and thank me for making the event. Charlie is easily one of the superstars of this series (in fact, he won EVERY CATEGORY he competed in this weekend!). This is basically equivalent to Axl Rose thanking his concertgoers as they file out of the arena. It just goes to show the overwhelming feeling of inclusivity that this series fosters. Every racer and organizer is approachable and friendly, welcoming the "newbs" into the sport. It's a great time being on the bike, but what's really unique about the series is the mood. Everyone there has a smile from ear-to-ear and the stoke level is palpable. I feel fortunate to have discovered this series and hope to inspire others to give it a try!



Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Follow

No comments: