Sunday, March 12, 2023

VCHSS Oak Ridge (Arrington, VA)



The first race of the VCHSS season was one to remember!



Although we had some warm days in "Early Spring" that was not the case on this mid-March morning. Temperatures in the 30's had snow falling on the crowd of competitors before the start.



Although the first lap had some traction to offer, by the 2nd 10-mile loop the red clay had developed a shiny, slick coating - inducing two-wheel slides and more washouts than I could dare to count.



My only "serious" wreck was during an attempt at passing. My handlebars entangled with the rider I was besting, and eventually my bike came to an abrupt halt when I slammed into a tree just outside the singletrack trail. Although a section of my plastics went flying, I was back on the course in a few seconds, with a smoother pass in mind once I reached the slower rider again.



With temperatures as low as they were, the battery on my HeroMAX didn't make it through the first lap. It was an eventful lap, though, since I was left kickstarting my YZ while the rest of my field left the start line, which provided the need to catch and pass several riders within the first 10 miles.



Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Follow

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You gonna race the whole series 40c

Dennis Throckmorton said...

Yeah, I'm going to make as many of the stops as I can. It's a full calendar!