Sunday, April 23, 2023

VCHSS Knockdown (Randolph, VA)



A decent start (last into the woods, but not by long) and a few passes during the first lap had me somewhere near the front of my class. Then, during a muddy climb after a water crossing, my chain came off the rear sprocket!



I was fortunate that a couple teeth were still holding on, allowing me to get it back on, but not before my entire class had passed me by.

After those three minutes or so off the bike, I didn't expect to see anyone in my class again. I just kept up the pace for the next couple laps and did eventually recognize Brandon Mills from my class. Once I snuck around him, I wondered if I might be able to catch anyone else. To my surprise, I saw Clint Showalter, then Brent Lilly, and Jeremy Brown. As I'd learned during earlier laps, many of the "passing lines" on this course were actually "traps" usually ending in trees too tight to fit through. I calmly waited for an actual opening to get around each rider and by the end of the race I had snagged 3rd place, even with a superman wreck right before the finish line [that took out several riders - some carted off to the ER].



Even with that over-the-bars moment, that final lap was the fastest of anyone in my class!

It was a a brutal race, but I was glad to come from behind and catch my class after what felt like an eternity trying to reposition my chain on the rear sprocket.

Before the next race I'll be replacing a bent radiator and washing the mud from my YZ, before swapping over to the 17" Supermoto wheels for a "double-header weekend" May 5th-7th.



Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Follow

No comments: