Saturday, September 5, 2026

Canaan Loop Road (Davis, WV)



I've been looking forward to a return to the Canaan Loop Road since our last trip in the Crosstrek.

Early on Thursday morning, I loaded up the bus and headed west. By the early afternoon I was in Thomas, West Virginia.

I left the bus near the Thomas City Park and rode the KTM to the Loop Road to scout whether I'd encounter any issues bringing the large rig. It seemed to be possible and one large campsite was still available, so I high-tailed it back to hop in the bus and return!

I lucked out and found the site still vacant upon my arrival. Within a few more minutes I had the bus parked and unloaded for the extended weekend.



That night Rebecca arrived and we set to making margaritas to celebrate our second trip together in Big Blue!

The next morning we woke to a cool, eerie fog and pink hue welcoming us out to explore.



Since we'd been experiencing quite a bit of rain, Rebecca & I were unsure what the trail conditions would be. One of the dryer trails is within the Canaaan State Park network, called Promised Land. We loaded up the gear and dogs into Rebecca's Corolla Cross and drove down to the park. Our hunch was correct - although other areas were a boggy mess, the trail we chose was relatively dry and as enjoyable as always.

That night we visited The Billy for dinner. As always, the cocktails and food were delicious!

For our next day of riding I suggested we try riding from the bus to one of the offshoots from Canaan Loop Road - Pointy Knob Trail. After a quick warmup on the fire road, the trail began with a steep, rocky, rooty climb. Rebecca amazed me with how well she navigated the ascent! It was a heart-in-throat sort of challenge - especially so considering that we were both still dealing with a lingering sinus & respiratory cold.

Eventually, though, the bogs appeared (during our climb, no less). We pushed through the saturated trail for a bit, but decided the descent would be even wetter - so it'd be wiser to turn around than continue. Although the conditions got the better of us, we were still able to enjoy bombing down the trail we'd just climbed.

After our ride we returned to the bus to enjoy snacks in the sun before enjoying another cozy night with the dogs.



The next day Rebecca headed home, with a stop near Baker, WV at her brother's property. I accompanied her to TipTop for breakfast before sending her on her way east on Corridor H. Since we'd emptied the [partially filled] freshwater tank, I swung by Blackwater Bikes to see if they'd let me use their bike-wash hose to fill up. They obliged and within a few minutes the tank was back in action!

Since the errand had me situated in town, I decided to park the bus and get in a ride at one of the Camp 70 trails - Moon Hoodoo Rocks!

The ride is one of my absolute favorites in Davis. Even with all the rain, the trail was in good condition and I crossed paths with several groups of hikers out enjoying the trail.

Once back at the bus I derobed from my muddy riding gear and headed back to camp to enjoy lunch and a Big Timber after a hot shower due to the refilled tank.



On my final day I chose to swap to the moto. I rode from my campsite to the end of the Canaan Loop Road & back.





After the ride I broke camp, loaded up the KTM, and headed down the fire road back to civilization. It was a great way to spend five days in the beauty of the Canaan Valley!



Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Follow

No comments: