Sunday, September 15, 2024

VCHSS Pipsico Scout Reservation (Spring Grove, VA)



With nearly fifteen weeks passing since the last race and ZERO dirt bike riding in between, my main goal for this event was to survive!

With dirt wheels back on the YZ and compression settings of the front fork dialed out for full squish, I headed east to the sandy destination of Pipsico Scout Reservation. Once at the event, I said hi to a few riders and started readying myself and machine for the extremely dry course.



As per usual, the race line left while I kicked three or four times. Luckily, the group had issues filtering into the singletrack, which afforded me the luxury of zero contact with other riders or bikes. Settling into a groove and adjusting to the six inches of silt on the track, I kept coaching myself to maintain composure and stay upright above all.

Although I did notice a few of the riders I'd passed during the first lap were in my class, I certainly didn't think I'd caught them all. This assumption was corrected as I passed the start/finish for my first of three laps IN FIRST PLACE!



After that confirmation, I again repeated the mantra "take it easy, don't wreck!" and continued on for the remainder of the race. Aside from incidents during passing attempts (resulting in two stalls), I stayed on the bike the entire race and finished over two minutes ahead of the next racer in my class.



After such a fun return to the series, I'll likely have a hard time sitting out the next few races as I return my focus to the schoolbus renovation.



Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Follow

No comments: