Sunday, June 2, 2024

VCHSS Hamtown Peninsula Classic (Isle of Wight, VA)



This summer I'm attempting to focus primarily on the conversion of our schoolbus, so the harescramble races have been few and far between. Although the Peninsula Classic is the 6th round, it was only my second race of the 2024 series.

As fate would have it, adjusting my chain tension minutes before the race was a big mistake. When tightening the axle nut, I felt a release of torque and the immediate sinking feeling in my stomache that accompanies the realization that the threads have just stripped. With little option left, I removed the outside washer and retightened the nut on the one or two threads left unmolested. With that, I told myself to baby the throttle and rear brake during my race.

This decision to "take 'er easy" might have been a blessing in disguise, as my calm pace meant only one fall, which was actually caused by another rider veering into me.

Surprisingly enough, the axle stayed in place for all four laps and I ended the race in second place out of a class of fourteen.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Follow

No comments: