Saturday, October 15, 2022

Wave Daze (Virginia Beach, VA)



This year's Wave Daze event marked the first time I've ridden my Yamaha Superjet in saltwater. I had my fears of corroded electrical lines, malfunctioning bilge, or general problems caused by corrosion. Luckily, though, the ski had zero issues - despite being tossed a couple times by the shorebreak that pummeled many of the riders upon launching from the shore.

Air and water temps were excellent for the weekend once Thursday's rain departed. Highs in the mid 70's and sunny skies from Friday through Sunday made hanging out to watch the action superb. In the water, however, was a different story. The waves weren't especially large, but the seas were choppy and rough, requiring constant awareness of the next rogue wave headed your direction.

I took two or three runs each day, but didn't spend much time in the surf as I was lucky to stay upright most of the time. Before the event I'd envisioned trying a barrel roll, but once in the water that aspiration quickly disappeared - replaced by the urge to simply surf the waves and survive. Perhaps some time spent practicing on flatwater and off boat wakes is in order before the next round...



Follow my blog with Bloglovin
Follow

No comments: